Q&A With Evansville Memorial Junior Mallory Wollenmann


Heading into her senior year, Wollenmann is batting .373 with 21 doubles and five home runs cumulatively through the course of her prep career. She holds a slugging percentage of .554, and in March, was inducted into the National Honors Society. Mallory smacked two doubles on May 2nd, the day after this Q&A was conducted in a 5-1 win over crosstown rival Mater Dei. A classmate of earlier participant Myla Browning, Mallory had quite a bit to say here... 😀🥎💪

What is your favorite movie?

Mallory: "I am not a real big movie person, so I can’t pinpoint one specifically. But if I had to choose a genre of movies to select from, I would either choose a comedy, action, or sports related film."

What is your favorite food?

Mallory: "Oh, that is tough because I am a big FOODY! 🍽️😋 My go to cravings are sushi or specifically my dad's KILLER steaks. The best steaks are cooked to a perfect medium rare in my opinion alongside some great sides such as mashed potatoes, broccoli, or a simple French fry and salad."

Who is your favorite athlete?

Mallory: "I’d say the athlete I looked up to the most and still do in fact is Sis Bates. She was a shortstop for the University of Washington Huskies in 2020💜🐺. She truly was an inspiration on and off the field. She always had a smile on her face even through the periods of adversity. Her goofy yet competitive personality kept her loose which really impacted her performances. If I were to describe her talents with a word or two it would be “golden-glove”."

What was your proudest moment as a softball player to this point?

Mallory: "Some situations I felt proud of myself in were receiving awards from our high school banquet or being accepted by all the seniors my freshman year. Being the only freshman in the starting nine was a lot of pressure, but the trophies or MVP sticker I have received isn’t what makes me truly proud of myself. What makes me proud is the growth I have seen in myself. Setting goals and accomplishing them is the greatest feeling in the world alongside seeing your parents proud of what you have accomplished too. The smiles on their faces in the stands or the “good game kid” just makes me feel good. It reminds me this truly is my passion and I have a dream of playing at the collegiate level and I will achieve that dream."

Where do you foresee yourself in ten years' time?

Mallory: "In ten years, I see myself graduating college with a physical therapy degree. I do not know if I plan on staying in the area of where I go to college or coming back home to Evansville. I haven’t put too much thought into a future family because I want to focus on myself before any other commitments. I guess we will wait and see!"

Outside of softball, what is your favorite downtime activity?

Mallory: "With softball being year-round because of travel and high school seasons, I don’t have much downtime. But with the downtime I have I like to spend it with my family and friends. In the summer, I like to go swimming and fishing and when it gets colder a fun inside activity I enjoy is going bowling or to arcades with my friends. I also value my alone time. One activity I enjoy is working out. It is very therapeutic, a nice calming reset!"

If you could go anywhere for a seven-day vacation, where would it be?

Mallory: "I would like to go somewhere exotic! This location would most likely be out of the country because I have never been! Some places that come to mind are the Caribbean, Belize, Jamaica, even England seems fun! A cruise could be interesting too!"

Who or what would you say is your greatest inspiration?

Mallory: "My biggest inspiration is my grandfather on my dad’s side! If my parents aren’t my biggest supporters, he truly was and I still believe he is watching over me to this day. He was a Vietnam War Veteran and participated in HEAVY COMBAT! He was one heck of a fighter. He bought me my first A2000 mit and I will never lose that thing no matter what condition it is in. I am so thankful for all he has done for me and this country. Whenever I am feeling down or discouraged, I just remember him and his other troops and what they went through was way worse! If I could see him one more time, I would give him the biggest hug and tell him “Thank you! I love you Papaw!”"

What would you say for any potential outsider visiting your beloved hometown of Evansville, Indiana?

Mallory: "Depending on where you are from Evansville may look large or could look tiny. One thing Evansville does do is it goes big or it goes home. We have one of the largest street festivals in the USA (aka the Fall Fest), we have multiple colleges two of which are Division 1, we are home to a Semi-Pro baseball team called the Evansville Otters, we are HUGE high school athletic fans, and another interesting fact about my hometown is we are home to the Evansville Thunderbolts Hockey team who often compete at the Ford Center which holds many events including celebrity artists concerts. Evansville has many enjoyable activities, but it is up to you on what you get out of them!"

Any random fact you would like to share about yourself?

Mallory: "Other than softball tournaments, I am not big on traveling. I am a BIG HOME BODY! I love my own bed! I have been playing softball for almost nine years now and I have a dream of playing softball at the next level. I am currently in the process of achieving this dream! I am very thankful for every everyone I have encountered in my life and I don’t regret meeting anyone I have already met!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ava Burkle Basketball Profile

Q&A With Jac-Cen-Del Senior Reagan Hughes

North Posey's Lily Hester: Freshman Season Top Performances